1. | (表示对象、用途等)给,对,供used to show who is intended to have or use sth or where sth is intended to be put |
There's a letter for you. 有你一封信。 | |
It's a book for children. 这是本儿童读物。 | |
We got a new table for the dining room. 我们给饭厅添了一张新桌子。 | |
This is the place for me(= I like it very much) . 这里很适合我。 |
2. | 以帮助;为了in order to help sb/sth |
What can I do for you(= how can I help you) ? 有什么事我可以为你效劳? | |
Can you translate this letter for me? 你能为我翻译这封信吗? | |
I took her classes for her while she was sick. 她生病时我为她代课。 | |
soldiers fighting for their country 为祖国出征的军人 |
3. | 关于concerning sb/sth |
They are anxious for her safety. 他们为她的安全担心。 | |
Fortunately for us, the weather changed. 我们运气好,天气变了。 |
4. | 代表as a representative of |
I am speaking for everyone in this department. 我代表这个部门全体人员讲话。 |
5. | 受雇于employed by |
She's working for IBM. 她在 IBM 公司工作。 |
6. | 意思是meaning |
Shaking your head for ‘No’ is not universal. 以摇头表示“不”,并非放诸四海而皆准。 |
7. | 支持;拥护in support of sb/sth |
Are you for or against the proposal? 你支持还是反对这个建议? | |
They voted for independence in a referendum. 他们在全民公决投票中赞成独立。 | |
There's a strong case for postponing the exam. 有充分理由推迟考试。 | |
I'm all for people having fun. 我完全赞成人们尽情享乐。 |
8. | (表示目的或功能)used to show purpose or function |
a machine for slicing bread 切面包片机 | |
Let's go for a walk. 咱们去散散步。 | |
Are you learning English for pleasure or for your work? 你学英语是出于消遣还是为了工作? | |
What did you do that for(= Why did you do that) ? 你为什么干那件事? |
9. | 因为;由于used to show a reason or cause |
The town is famous for its cathedral. 这个城镇以大教堂著名。 | |
She gave me a watch for my birthday. 她送给我一块手表作为生日礼物。 | |
He got an award for bravery. 他因英勇受奖。 | |
I couldn't speak for laughing. 我笑得说不出话来。 |
10. | 为得到;为获取in order to obtain sth |
He came to me for advice. 他来征求我的意见。 | |
For more information, call this number. 欲知详情,请拨打此电话号码。 | |
There were over fifty applicants for the job. 有五十多人申请这个工作。 |
11. | 换取in exchange for sth |
Copies are available for two dollars each. 两元一份。 | |
I'll swap these two bottles for that one. 我要拿这两瓶换那一瓶。 |
12. | 就…而言considering what can be expected from sb/sth |
The weather was warm for the time of year. 在一年的这个时节这天气算是暖和的了。 | |
She's tall for her age. 从她这个年龄看她个子算是高的。 | |
That's too much responsibility for a child. 对于一个孩子来说,这责任是太重了。 |
13. | better, happier, etc. ~ sth …后(更好、更快乐等)better, happier, etc. following sth |
You'll feel better for a good night's sleep. 你晚上睡个好觉就会觉得好些。 | |
This room would look more cheerful for a spot of paint. 这个房间油漆一下就会显得更加悦目。 |
14. | (表示去向)往,向used to show where sb/sth is going |
Is this the bus for Chicago? 这辆公共汽车是去芝加哥的吗? | |
She knew she was destined for a great future. 她知道她注定要成大器。 |
15. | (表示一段时间)used to show a length of time |
I'm going away for a few days. 我要离开几天。 | |
That's all the news there is for now . 目前新闻就这么多。 |
16. | (安排或预定)在…时used to show that sth is arranged or intended to happen at a particular time |
an appointment for May 12 5 月 12 日的一次约见 | |
We're invited for 7.30. 我们受到邀请,7 点 30 分出席。 |
17. | (表示场合)used to show the occasion when sth happens |
I'm warning you for the last time─stop talking! 我最后一次警告你 — 闭嘴! |
18. | (表示距离)used to show a distance |
The road went on for miles and miles. 这条道路绵延数英里。 |
19. | 对(某人)来说(困难、必需、愉快等)used to say how difficult, necessary, pleasant, etc. sth is that sb might do or has done |
It's useless for us to continue. 我们继续做下去也无用。 | |
There's no need for you to go. 你不必走。 | |
For her to have survived such an ordeal was remarkable. 她经历了那样的苦难活下来了,真不简单。 | |
The box is too heavy for me to lift. 这只箱子太沉,我搬不动。 | |
Is it clear enough for you to read? 这个你读起来清不清楚? |
20. | (表示谁可以或应该做某事)used to show who can or should do sth |
It's not for me to say why he left. 由我说出他离开的原因不合适。 | |
How to spend the money is for you to decide. 怎样花这笔钱由你决定。 |
We'd better hurry or we'll be in for it. 我们最好赶快,不然要受罚的。 |
We'd better hurry or we'll be in for it. 我们最好赶快,不然要受罚的。 |
For all its clarity of style, the book is not easy reading. 这本书虽然文体清晰,但读起来并不容易。 |
For all I know she's still living in Boston. 据我所知,她还住在波士顿。 | |
You can do what you like, for all I care. 你想干什么就可以干什么,我才不管呢。 | |
For all the good it's done we might as well not have bothered. 那件事带来的好处不多,我们本不该操心的。 |
For all its clarity of style, the book is not easy reading. 这本书虽然文体清晰,但读起来并不容易。 |
For all I know she's still living in Boston. 据我所知,她还住在波士顿。 | |
You can do what you like, for all I care. 你想干什么就可以干什么,我才不管呢。 | |
For all the good it's done we might as well not have bothered. 那件事带来的好处不多,我们本不该操心的。 |
She might at least have called to explain. There's gratitude for you. 她本来至少可以来电话解释一下。她就这么表示感谢。 |
She might at least have called to explain. There's gratitude for you. 她本来至少可以来电话解释一下。她就这么表示感谢。 |