1. | 仅有的;唯一的used to say that no other or others of the same group exist or are there |
She's their only daughter. 她是他们的独生女。 | |
We were the only people there. 我们是唯一在场的人。 | |
His only answer was a grunt. 他唯一的回答就只是哼了一声。 |
2. | 最好的;最适当的used to say that sb/sth is the best and you would not choose any other |
She's the only person for the job. 她是这项工作最合适的人选。 |
I'd love to come─the only thing is I might be late. 我很想去,只不过我可能会迟到。 |
I'd love to come─the only thing is I might be late. 我很想去,只不过我可能会迟到。 |
1. | 只;只有;仅nobody or nothing except |
There are only a limited number of tickets available. 剩下的票数量很有限。 | |
The bar is for members only . 这间酒吧只对会员开放。 | |
You only have to look at her to see she doesn't eat enough. 你只消看一眼就知道她吃得不够多。 | |
Only five people turned up. 只来了五个人。 |
2. | 仅在…情况下(或地点等)in no other situation, place, etc. |
I agreed, but only because I was frightened. 我当时同意只是因为我很害怕。 | |
Children are admitted only if accompanied by an adult. 儿童必须有成年人陪同方可入场。 | |
3. | 只不过;仅…而已no more important, interesting, serious, etc. than |
It was only a suggestion. 这只是个提议罢了。 | |
Don't blame me, I'm only the messenger! 别责怪我,我只不过是个传话的! | |
He was only teasing you. 他只是逗你玩玩罢了。 |
4. | 只有;仅;刚刚no more than; no longer than |
She's only 21 and she runs her own business. 她只有 21 岁,就经营起自己的企业了。 | |
It only took a few seconds. 那只需要几秒钟。 | |
It took only a few seconds. 那只需要几秒钟。 |
5. | (直到)…才;(只是)…才not until |
We only got here yesterday. 我们昨天才到这里。 | |
Only then did she realize the stress he was under. 直到那时她才意识到他所承受的压力。 |
6. | 仅此而已;只能used to say that sb can do no more than what is mentioned, although this is probably not enough |
We can only guess what happened. 我们只能猜测发生了什么事。 | |
He could only watch helplessly as the car plunged into the ravine. 他只能眼睁睁地看着汽车冲落峡谷。 | |
I only hope that she never finds out. 我唯有希望永远别被她知道。 |
7. | (用于说明事情的恶果)只会,愈加used to say that sth will have a bad effect |
If you do that, it will only make matters worse. 如果你那样做,只会乱上加乱。 | |
Trying to reason with him only enrages him even more. 跟他讲理只会使他更加生气。 |
8. | ~ to do sth 不料;竟然used to mention sth that happens immediately afterwards, especially sth that causes surprise, disappointment, etc. |
She turned up the driveway, only to find her way blocked. 她开上自家车道,不料发现路已被堵。 |
He not only read the book, but also remembered what he had read. 他不但读了这本书,而且记得所读的内容。 |
He not only read the book, but also remembered what he had read. 他不但读了这本书,而且记得所读的内容。 |
We've only just arrived. 我们刚到。 |
He only just caught the train. 他差点没赶上火车。 | |
I can afford it, but only just. 这东西我刚好买得起。 |
We've only just arrived. 我们刚到。 |
He only just caught the train. 他差点没赶上火车。 | |
I can afford it, but only just. 这东西我刚好买得起。 |
I was only too pleased to help. 我非常乐意帮忙。 | |
Children can be difficult as we know only too well. 小孩子往往很难对付,对此我们都非常清楚。 |
I was only too pleased to help. 我非常乐意帮忙。 | |
Children can be difficult as we know only too well. 小孩子往往很难对付,对此我们都非常清楚。 |