1. | [t] 给…命名;称呼;把…叫做to give sb/sth a particular name; to use a particular name or title when you are talking to sb |
They decided to call the baby Mark. 他们决定给婴儿取名马克。 | |
His name's Hiroshi but everyone calls him Hiro. 他名叫广志,但人人都称他广。 | |
What do they call that new fabric? 他们把那种新织品叫做什么? | |
They called their first daughter after her grandmother. 他们给大女儿取了祖母的名字。 | |
We call each other by our first names here. 我们这儿彼此直呼其名。 |
2. | [t] 认为…是;把…看作to describe sb/sth in a particular way; to consider sb/sth to be sth |
I wouldn't call German an easy language. 我并不认为德语是一门容易学的语言。 | |
Are you calling me a liar? 你是说我撒谎? | |
He was in the front room, or the lounge or whatever you want to call it. 他当时在客厅,或者说是在起居室 — 无论你叫它什么都行。 | |
I make it ten pounds forty-three you owe me. Let's call it ten pounds. 我算下来你欠我十英镑四十三便士。就算作十英镑吧。 | |
Would you call it blue or green? 你认为它是蓝色还是绿色? |
3. | [t] ~ yourself + noun 把自己称为;自诩to claim that you are a particular type of person, especially when other people question whether this is true |
Call yourself a friend? So why won't you help me, then? 你说你够朋友?够朋友怎么不肯帮我? | |
She's no right to call herself a feminist. 她无权以女权主义者自居。 |
4. | [i][t] 大声呼叫,大声说(以吸引注意力)to shout or say sth loudly to attract sb's attention |
I thought I heard somebody calling. 我仿佛听见有人在呼喊。 | |
She called out to her father for help. 她向父亲大声呼救。 | |
He called out a warning from the kitchen. 他在厨房里大声发出警告。 | |
Did somebody call my name? 有人叫我的名字吗? | |
‘See you later!’ she called. “再见!”她叫道。 |
5. | [t][i] ~ (sb) 召唤;呼唤to ask sb to come by shouting or speaking loudly |
Will you call the kids in for lunch? 把孩子们叫进来吃午饭好吗? | |
Did you call? 你叫我? |
6. | [t] 打电话叫to ask sb/sth to come quickly to a particular place by telephoning |
to call the fire department/the police/a doctor/an ambulance 打电话叫消防队╱警察╱医生╱救护车 | |
The doctor has been called to an urgent case. 医生接到电话去看急症。 | |
I'll call a taxi for you. 我来打电话给你叫辆出租车。 | |
I'll call you a taxi. 我来打电话给你叫辆出租车。 |
7. | [i][t] (给…)打电话to telephone sb |
I'll call again later. 我过会儿再打电话来。 | |
I called the office to tell them I'd be late. 我给办公室打电话说我可能晚到一会儿。 | |
My brother called me from Spain last night. 我弟弟昨晚从西班牙给我打电话来了。 |
8. | [t][usupass] + adv./prep. 命令,召(至某处)to order sb to come to a place |
Several candidates were called for a second interview. 几个候选人被通知去参加第二次面试。 | |
The ambassador was called back to London by the prime minister. 大使被首相召回伦敦。 | |
He felt called to the priesthood(= had a strong feeling that he must become a priest) . 他感受到要成为司铎的召唤。 |
9. | [i] (短暂地)访问to make a short visit to a person or place |
I'll call round and see you on my way home. 我想在回家的路上去看看你。 | |
Let's call on John. 咱们去看看约翰吧。 | |
He was out when I called to see him. 我去拜访时,他不在家。 |
10. | [t] ~ sth 下令举行;宣布进行to order sth to happen; to announce that sth will happen |
to call a meeting/an election/a strike 举行会议╱选举╱罢工 |
11. | [i] 啼;鸣叫to make the cry that is typical for it |
12. | [t][i] ~ (sth) 抛硬币说正反面to say which side of a coin you think will face upwards after it is thrown |
to call heads/tails 要硬币的正面╱反面 |
Chess is a game that calls into play all your powers of concentration. 国际象棋是一项需要全神贯注的活动。 |
Chess is a game that calls into play all your powers of concentration. 国际象棋是一项需要全神贯注的活动。 |
His honesty has never been called into question. 他的诚实从未受到过怀疑。 |
His honesty has never been called into question. 他的诚实从未受到过怀疑。 |
After forty years in politics I think it's time for me to call it a day(= to retire) . 从政四十年,我想现在也该退休了。 |
After forty years in politics I think it's time for me to call it a day(= to retire) . 从政四十年,我想现在也该退休了。 |
1. | [c] 打电话;通话the act of speaking to sb on the telephone |
to get/have/receive a call from sb 接到某人的电话 | |
to give sb/to make a call 给某人打电话 | |
Were there any calls for me while I was out? 我不在时有电话找我吗? | |
I'll take(= answer) the call upstairs. 我要上楼接电话。 | |
I left a message but he didn't return my call . 我留了口信,但他没有回电话。 | |
a local call 本地电话 | |
a long-distance call 长途电话 |
2. | [c] (禽、兽的)叫声;(唤起注意的)喊声a loud sound made by a bird or an animal, or by a person to attract attention |
the distinctive call of the cuckoo 布谷鸟独特的叫声 | |
a call for help 呼救声 |
3. | [c] 短暂拜访a short visit to sb's house |
The doctor has five calls to make this morning. 医生今天上午要出诊五次。 | |
to pay a call on an old friend 拜访一位老朋友 |
4. | [c] ~ (for sth) 要求;请求;呼吁a request, an order or a demand for sb to do sth or to go somewhere |
calls for the minister to resign 要部长辞职的要求 | |
calls for national unity 国家统一的呼声 | |
This is the last call for passengers travelling on British Airways flight 199 to Rome. 乘坐英国航空公司 199 次班机飞往罗马的乘客,这是最后一次通知登机。 | |
a call to arms(= a strong request to fight in the army, etc.) 战斗号召 |
5. | [u] no ~ for sth.no ~ (for sb) to do sth 没有需要;没有理由(做…)no demand for sth; no reason for sb's behaviour |
There isn't a lot of call for small specialist shops nowadays. 如今对小型专卖店已没有多大需求了。 |
6. | [c] ~ on sb/sth (对某人或某事物的)需求,压力a demand or pressure placed on sb/sth |
She is a busy woman with many calls on her time. 她是个大忙人,有很多事等着她去办。 |
7. | [sing] ~ (of sth) (某地的)吸引力,诱惑力a strong feeling of attraction that a particular place has for you |
the call of the sea/your homeland 大海的╱家乡的魅力 |
8. | [sing] ~ (to do sth) 召唤;呼唤;使命感a strong feeling that you want to do sth, especially a particular job |
9. | [c] (informal) 决定a decision |
It's your call! 那是你的决定! | |
a good/bad call 正确的╱不恰当的决定 | |
That's a tough call. 那是个艰难的决定。 |
10. | [c] (裁判员的)判决a decision made by the umpire |
There was a disputed call in the second set. 第二盘比赛有一个有争议的判决。 |
11. | [c] 叫牌;吊牌a player's bid or turn to bid |
The children always have first call on her time. 她的时间总是先花在孩子们身上。 |
The children always have first call on her time. 她的时间总是先花在孩子们身上。 |
I'll be on call the night of the party. 在聚会的晚上我将随时听凭召唤。 |
I'll be on call the night of the party. 在聚会的晚上我将随时听凭召唤。 |