1. | 表示…的意思to have sth as a meaning |
What does this sentence mean? 这个句子是什么意思? | |
What is meant by ‘batch processing’? batch processing 是什么意思? | |
Does the name ‘Jos Vos’ mean anything to you(= do you know who he is) ? 你知道乔斯 ) 沃斯是谁吗? | |
The flashing light means (that) you must stop. 闪烁的灯光表示你必须停下。 |
2. | 意思是;本意是to intend to say sth on a particular occasion |
What did he mean by that remark? 他说那话是什么意思? | |
‘Perhaps we should try another approach.’ ‘ What do you mean?(= I don't understand what you are suggesting.) ’ “也许我们应该试一试别的方法。”“你指的是什么方法?” | |
What do you mean , you thought I wouldn't mind?(= of course I mind and I am very angry) 你这是什么意思?你以为我不会在意吗? | |
What she means is that there's no point in waiting here. 她的意思是说在这儿等下去没什么意思。 | |
I always found him a little strange, if you know what I mean(= if you understand what I mean by ‘strange’) . 我总觉得他有点儿怪,如果你明白我这话是什么意思。 | |
I know what you mean(= I understand and feel sympathy) . I hated learning to drive too. 我明白你的意思。我也不愿意学开车。 | |
It was like─weird. Know what I mean? 它有点儿,怪异。你明白我的意思吗? | |
I see what you mean(= I understand although I may not agree) , but I still think it's worth trying. 我知道你是什么意思,但我仍然认为值得一试。 | |
See what I mean(= I was right and this proves it, doesn't it) ? She never agrees to anything I suggest. 这下可证明我说的对了吧?我说什么她都不听。 | |
‘But Pete doesn't know we're here!’ ‘ That's what I mean!(= that's what I have been trying to tell you.) ’ “可是皮特不知道我们在这儿呀!”“我就是这个意思嘛!” | |
Do you mean Ann Smith or Mary Smith? 你是说安 ) 史密斯,还是说玛丽 ) 史密斯? | |
Did he mean (that) he was dissatisfied with our service? 他是不是表示对我们的服务不满意? | |
You mean(= are you telling me) we have to start all over again? 你是不是说我们必须从头再来一遍? |
3. | 打算;意欲;有…的目的to have sth as a purpose or intention |
What did she mean by leaving so early(= why did she do it) ? 她为什么这么早就走了? | |
Don't laugh! I mean it(= I am serious) . 别笑!我是认真的。 | |
He means trouble(= to cause trouble) . 他存心捣乱。 | |
Don't be upset─I'm sure she meant it as a compliment. 别不高兴,我肯定她的原意是要称赞你的。 | |
He means what he says(= is not joking, exaggerating, etc.) . 他说话是当真的。 | |
The chair was clearly meant for a child. 这椅子显然是专为儿童设计的。 | |
Don't be angry. I'm sure she meant it for the best(= intended to be helpful) . 别生气了。我相信她是真心想要帮忙的。 | |
She means to succeed. 她一意求成。 | |
I'm sorry I hurt you. I didn't mean to . 对不起,弄疼你了。我不是故意的。 | |
I'm feeling very guilty─ I've been meaning to call my parents for days, but still haven't got around to it. 我感到非常内疚,几天来我一直打算给父母打电话,但还是没机会打。 | |
I didn't mean you to read the letter. 我没打算让你看那封信。 | |
You're meant to(= you are supposed to) pay before you go in. 你要先交钱才能进去。 | |
I never meant (that) you should come alone. 我从来没打算让你一个人来。 |
4. | [oftpass] 想要某人成为;想要某人去做to intend sb to be or do sth |
I was never meant for the army(= did not have the qualities needed to become a soldier) . 我根本就不是块当兵的料。 | |
Duncan and Makiko were meant for each other(= are very suitable as partners) . 邓肯和真纪子真是天生的一对。 | |
His father meant him to be an engineer. 他父亲想让他当工程师。 | |
She did everything to get the two of them together, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be . 她极力撮合他们俩,但我觉得那根本不可能。 |
5. | 产生…结果;意味着to have sth as a result or a likely result |
Spending too much now will mean a shortage of cash next year. 现在花销太多就意味着明年现金短缺。 | |
Do you have any idea what it means to be poor? 你知不知道贫穷意味着什么? | |
We'll have to be careful with money but that doesn't mean (that) we can't enjoy ourselves. 我们必须精打细算,可也并不是说我们就不能享受生活。 | |
This new order will mean working overtime. 这新订单一来,我们就得加班加点。 | |
The injury could mean him missing next week's game. 这次受伤可能使他无法参加下周的比赛。 |
6. | [nopass] ~ sth to sb 对某人重要(或有价值)to be of value or importance to sb |
Your friendship means a great deal to me. 你的友谊对我来说是很珍贵的。 | |
$20 means a lot(= represents a lot of money) when you live on $100 a week. 当你每周就靠 100 元维持生活时,20 元可是个大数目。 | |
Money means nothing to him . 金钱对于他来说毫无价值。 | |
Her children mean the world to her . 她的孩子就是她的一切。 |
This restaurant is meant to be excellent. 都说这家饭店很棒。 |
This restaurant is meant to be excellent. 都说这家饭店很棒。 |
It was so boring─I mean, nothing happened for the first hour! 真是无聊。我是说,一个小时都过去了,什么事儿都没发生! | |
She's English─Scottish, I mean. 她是英国人,更确切地说,她是苏格兰人。 |
It was so boring─I mean, nothing happened for the first hour! 真是无聊。我是说,一个小时都过去了,什么事儿都没发生! | |
She's English─Scottish, I mean. 她是英国人,更确切地说,她是苏格兰人。 |
He has the look of a man who means business. 他看上去像是个说话算话的人。 |
He has the look of a man who means business. 他看上去像是个说话算话的人。 |
I mean to say, you should have known how he would react! 我的意思是说,你本应料到他会作何反应! | |
Do you mean to say you've lost it? 你是说你把那东西给弄丢了? |
I mean to say, you should have known how he would react! 我的意思是说,你本应料到他会作何反应! | |
Do you mean to say you've lost it? 你是说你把那东西给弄丢了? |
1. | 吝啬的;小气的not willing to give or share things, especially money |
She's always been mean with money. 她在花钱方面总是非常吝啬。 |
2. | ~ (to sb) 不善良;刻薄unkind, for example by not letting sb have or do sth |
Don't be so mean to your little brother! 别对你弟弟那么刻薄! |
3. | 要发怒的;要发狂的likely to become angry or violent |
That's a mean-looking dog. 那狗看上去很凶。 |
4. | (informal) 熟练的;出色的very good and skilful |
He's a mean tennis player. 他是一名出色的网球选手。 | |
She plays a mean game of chess. 她的国际象棋下得很棒。 |
5. | [obn] 平均的;介于中间的average; between the highest and the lowest, etc. |
the mean temperature 平均气温 |
6. | 平庸的;一般的not very great |
This should be clear even to the meanest intelligence. 就是对智力最平庸的人来说,这也应当是非常明了的。 |
7. | 又穷又脏的poor and dirty in appearance |
mean houses/streets 脏乱的房屋╱街道 |
8. | 出身卑贱的;社会地位低下的born into or coming from a low social class |
His mother was a painter, and he's no mean artist himself. 他的母亲是画家,他本人也是很出色的艺术家。 |
His mother was a painter, and he's no mean artist himself. 他的母亲是画家,他本人也是很出色的艺术家。 |
1. | ~ (between A and B) 中间;中庸;折中a quality, condition, or way of doing sth that is in the middle of two extremes and better than either of them |
He needed to find a mean between frankness and rudeness. 他需要在坦诚与唐突之间找到折中的方法。 |
2. | 平均数;平均值;算术中项the value found by adding together all the numbers in a group, and dividing the total by the number of numbers |